Thursday

Part 3~ Food Coma

Ok..it’s been days so where was I?

And if your not sure either click here for part 1 or here for part 2.

I’m not sure how I should begin this, except to say this is not FDA approved and I don’t have a doctor encouraging me to do this..however I have the approval of the greatest physician I’ve ever known, aka our creator.

This being said you can understand why I’m a little leery of sharing it here as there will be nay-sayers and healthier then me people who have all the answers.

But I digress if there’s someone out there whose in a boat without paddles as I was, then I want to share this info that could be of help.

FOOD has been my vice, more like addiction.

After reading this ebook from Dr.Herring (free download), I’ve come to accept that I’ve been an emotional eater most all my life.

Not because he pointed it out instead I realize that I ate when I was happy/sad/mad/bored and any other feeling I could think up. It was my mind over the matter that caused me to conjure up reasons to indulge.

I ate and NOT because I was hungry,quite the opposite I would eat because I justified a need somehow through it.

To give you an idea of how far back this started, I’ll share with that my family still teases me to the day about asking right after dinner: “what’s for breakfast?” This has been something I’ve thought about my whole life. Seriously.

It’s said depression will also bring on emotional eating and while I’m sure of this..I don’t think it’s solely the case because that would mean I’ve been depressed my whole life. Really?

Having been treated with an anti-depressant Rx it still didn’t curb the appetite instead I gained more weight.

Anyways before I continue..I want to express that if I wasn’t of sound mind to make the choices I’ve made my dh would interfere and put a stop to it..you can trust me on this.

So what am I doing now?

I’m intermitting fast-5.

Not only do I not drink sodas or eat an abundance of chocolate..it’s just has to be a part of the  5 hour window in which I eat my one meal a day.

(Gasp!)

Shocking right?!

Well dear ones it seems to be the key in practicing self control which has effected me in more ways then one.

Because of this practice I’m becoming a healthier minded individual who is not ruled by her emotions. I don’t have the same sluggish days and I’m more motivated to be busy then I have in years. Which is a good thing when you are working out of the home part-time.

Here’s how /what /when I do this:

I first started fasting breakfast(s) in the beginning of December, for like 3 days.

Then I started the 19hr fast on a Monday. Which meant nothing from the time I went to bed at 10pm to the next evening at 5pm when I broke my fast.  At first my dh and I thought we would do it Mon-Fri only, taking the weekends off.

I realized quickly that I didn’t like the feeling of fullness so have continued everyday.

I remember thinking aloud on FB one morning : “Who starts a fast during the middle of the holiday season, am I crazy?!”

I had a comment from a Pastor friend that said: “ the kind who wants to live a healthier lifestyle..keep up the good work!”

He didn’t know I had been doing it..and I had only posted once on this matter, so for me it was confirmation.

As the days progress I have become convinced to continue on..even when I was starting to doubt this was the way, encouragement came along in large doses. 

Living this way allows me focus on the more important issues in life. Not having to count or feel subjected to guilt is also a bonus.

Eating what I want is nice and as for working out..it counts more now because I can easily burn the calories I’ve eaten or will eat that day..can you say nice?!?

I’ve experimented moving the “eating window” up to earlier hours as not to eat late, this works also.

But like today I’m cooking a big meal for dinner as the whole family will be home tonight so I’m fasting till 5 again.

When I started this I was wearing a tight 16 and weighed  225.4lbs I’m now down to 211.2lbs.

I have released 14.2 lbs in 7wks.

The average on this eating regimen is a pound a week.

So before the year is up I will have roughly lost 52 lbs! Which is less then my pre-marriage weight, talk about a honeymoon!

Now before you get on the “but you must eat three meals a day”  or “of course you will lose, your starving yourself!” wagon. 

Why do I need to eat more then once a day..who says this and did this person design the body?

Plus I’m hardly starving myself if my one meal is healthier and more well rounded then most who eat three meals a day.

Here’s a few “popular” guys that my blogger/Intermitting faster friend Paula has researched and found they also eat just one meal a day. ( And the list goes on and on..)

But what really settles it all for me is the fact that Jesus himself said this:

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?” Mt 6:25

It seems this is what I’ve done most of my life..worry about food.

I’m convicted that I can take HIM at HIS Word and try this instead.

So there..

I’m no longer in a “food coma”.

I’m not controlled by it.

In fact I’m being released from it emotionally as well as physically.

Praise be to GOD!!!

 

Well I better close cause it’s the kids day off and I promised the kids a matinee day at the movies, Jackie Chan and some popcorn for them while mom saves her tastebuds for the baked crispy chicken; sweet potatoes, veggies and  salad..at my break-fast….yummy.

5 comments:

Beth in NC said...

Great job Dawn! You are doing so well on this! I just broke my fast: 2:38pm. I am enjoying a yummy skim milk smoothie at the moment.

If anyone wants to join this way of eating -- they will definitely see how much better they will feel.

(((hugs)))
Beth

Paula said...

That verse if Mt 6:25!!! I could so relate to your post. I had ALL the same experiences. I would constantly think about food, even the next meal before the one I was eating had barely finished. I thought about food so much of the time...or some kind of diet. This lifestyle and God's hand in my life has set me free from the chains of food that held me in bondage. Crazy energy. I love what God is doing. Thank you for sharing your truth with all of us. Love ya!!! Congrats on the weight loss. I will be eating break-fast in about an hour and it will be 29 hours since I last had food. Only coffee since then...

j said...

I have never heard of this plan. I've always heard you MUST eat breakfast to lose weight to keep your metabolism up. But it is the dieting world saying that! Maybe I should try this.

Emotional eater... HERE! ME! ME! I am one. The other day at the grocery store, I was trying to buy lunchbox snacks for the kids that I wouldn't want to eat too.

I picked up a box of store brand vanilla wafers. I knew that if I bought Nabisco Nilla Wafers, they would be gone. But the store brand didn't appeal. THAT is pure emotional attachment! The Nilla Wafers make me think of my grandmother's house and I couldn't resist them! Store brand? ZERO attachment.

Best of luck to you Dawn!

littletoesandcheerios said...

Dawn as long as your sugar levels are ok I feel it's actually healthy. We can move more and our cholesterol is lowered. Everyone knows we EAT WAY TOO much in this country. I have eaten like this before and felt better. If I felt my sugar dropping I would eat some junk. Congrats on the 52 lbs...WOW!

Angela said...

Sharing about 'how far back this started' in your life with emotional eating, I can conger up memories dating back to when I was 4 years old. I'm 45 girl..I still can picture me sitting at the table with the food before me, and I still 'feel' those emotions I was dealing with while eating. That young. Shoving the pain down with food. Emotions too difficult to deal with, numbing myself way back than with food.

As you know, I've been living this life style for three years now. I'm definitely NOT starving myself, lol. I'm actually eating healthier than ever before, and have more energy. Confirmation to that fact, it's 5:26 a.m.....lol. I've already started my day!

Powerful post..

Your right about the nay sayers...When I started this journey the Lord brought to my attention Proverbs 29...the fear of man will become a snare, but those who trust in the Lord will be kept safe.

God lead me to this life style...I can't be 'worried' about what others will be thinking. I NEED to be obedient to His call.

As for the three meals a day,,back in the day..I doubt very much people were eating three meals a day..I doubt when they were wandering in the desert those 40 years, they had three meals a day...lol