Thursday

LEAVE IT ALONE!

 

I'm sure you have not had to say these words at all this month because your little angels do not question the unspoken rule since moving in at birth

"don't touch the decorations/ornaments" am I right?

Not here..it's a spoken rule and not respected at times  saying it so much feels like I'm~.... a~.... broken~.... ~....record~....and finally a "timeout"  was the punishment {Sissy not me..although a time out sounds really nice~ Amen?}

And because I really want her to understand why I'm disciplining her over this drama..I sat down at eye level with her  to explain.

Here's the conversation

(insert 3yr old voice for the right effect hers not mine ;)

Me: why where you in time out?

Sissy: because I took down the blue towel with the snow man on it..

(It was really more than that but she is 3 and that's all she could remember so I'll give her that.)

Me: is it a decoration?

Sissy: yes

Me: are you supposed to play with the decorations?

Sissy: no

Me: why not? ( this is where she's should say "because it's just to look at")

Sissy: because you don't share and I do..

Silence...............

Me: (inside I am cracking up...) No not because I don't share it's because it's just to look at and when momma was a little girl she didn't play with them either cause her momma said no.

Sissy: you where three? (holding up three little fingers)

Me: yep

Sissy: well that's just amazing.

Was that a dig..or was it really that she didn't know  her momma was ever three.

Maybe she understands now or at least for the rest of the night.

So..how often do you say one thing and your kids think another..you may just want to get down on their level and find out?

Here's a few pix of the "don't touch decor/ornaments" that I'm trying to salvage thru my kids "gotta touch everything" stage of life.

DSCN1304 

DSCN1317 

One of many reasons why they shouldn't touch..DSCN1322

Santa's bird is missing the head now did little hands break it..or did Santa get hungry for more than cookies?

Because the head is in his belly.DSCN1321

DSCN1290

The piano is loaded down at the moment with stuff..let's take a closer look at what can be messed with.

DSCN1326 

A new piece this year, our new Advent Calendar..yours truly made the other night( yes~I realize the whole number thing is off..it was really hard for me to concentrate being a "closet crafter" and all..) I joined up with a few of my dear homeschooling friends at a church craft night and this lovely blogger shared the idea. Mine is a total misfit and that's what makes it "fit" in my home!

 

SHE has already added her own "touches to it" :0/

DSCN1333

How to know if the snow globe is being played with..(no mom doesn't have eyes in the back of her head)... it's snowing.

 

DSCN1312

They are always mistaken for Ken and Barbie..seriously.

RSCN1303 Isn't he a cute piece of candy..

DSCN1301 I wonder why only one leg?

DSCN1310 Oh my I can't wait to share a great "Lampoon's Christmas story" with you..and this picture is in the center of where it all took place!

I'm really not materialistic (far from it..) but there are  times when keepsakes aren't re-glue-able and when you just don't what to re-hang the ornaments every day..while trying to find the one light that has been pulled out in the 15,000.00 lights on the tree to make it light up again...wish me happy hunting?

 

God Bless and sleep tight!

 

LINK UP TO Kristen's below or just go for a visit.

frobutton1

25 comments:

Tammy said...

Tsk, tsk, tsk....you should share more! ;-)

My son pulled the entire Christmas tree over when he was about 2 after being told not to touch. He never touched again! :-)

I love you collection of misfit ornaments!

Beach said...

I love your decorations!!! I hope they leave your stuff alone now! BTW the friend who took my pictures is our own resident "Elf".

Muthering Heights said...

LOL, she is SO funny!!!

Bee said...

You mean mommy! How could you not share with that precious child?! I loved it!

My "little one" is now almost 20, so we don't have that kind of fun conversation any more. I sure do miss them.

Now, however, my words are, "Gracie, get down." 153,000 times a day. Gracie is my new baby - she's a Boxer/Bull mix and wieghs almost 70 pounds. She thinks the house belongs to her!

Happy Mommy said...

I absolutely love your Advent Calender! You have to share where you came up with how to make that! It's just beautiful! Yes, Amen I have said oh at least 5 times already don't touch, its only 8am.....

Simply_Pam said...

Someday you will ponder why the christmas miss fits mean so much to you..and the little helpers that just wanted to see what made them so special...Hang on to these moments,they will one day be sweet memories....hate to tell ya this.. but babies grow up to be just like their moms and dads...I would know... you are a copy of me !! lol mom

Simply_Pam said...

copy of me.. lol Mom

littletoesandcheerios said...

I don't know which is more funny, the headless bird or the fact you don't share and were 3 at one time. To think that's what's going on in their little minds...SO cute!
And your things are beautiful!

Carolina Mama said...

Love your ornaments! And decor. I remember those days - watch that ornament. :) THanks for saying Hi.

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

I LOVED that conversation with your daughter!!!

Valarie Lea said...

WE are sorta out of that stage. All except for this one big penguin. He stand a bout 3ft tall and little Logan thinks he sohould be able to wrestle it.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, that conversation you had with Sissy was hilarious! I love your Advent Calendar. I made my very simple this year, but yours is gorgeous! I would love to do something like that in the future.

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

Lori said...


OMG that is hilarious!!!


I think they are born smarter than us!!!!



That’s where you say….”priceless!”

marky said...

I love that advent calendar!!
your conversation is a whoot!

Anonymous said...

She's a hoot!!! Each year I say I will get an advent calendar and I never do. I love those things!

Unknown said...

I LOVE the advent calendar you made!!! it is wonderful!

Carrie said...

I love the Advent calendar and all the beautiful decorations!!!

Blessings this Christmas season to you and yours!

Kristen said...

Oh, that's funny! Kids are so honest.

{not that you don't share or anything!}

One More Equals Four said...

Oh, that story is just too funny! I totally understand. I have a VERY inquisitive 11 month old who is just discovering the joy of undecorating everything. He stares longingly at the apples on the tree saying, "ball!" and looks at me like he can't believe it when he gets a "ball", throws it and then gets his hand spanked. He has already broken two ornaments, pulled bows off the packages and pulled all the garland off the piano. This is on top of emptying the kitchen garbage about twenty times a day and playing in the commode any time someone leaves the bathroom door open! Oh, the joys of little ones, that is why YOUNG people should have babies!

j said...

I read the conversation between you and your daughter aloud to my little Diva Daughter. We both just died laughing!! Oh Dawn, you have got your hands full!!!!

The decorations are gorgeous.

Now how about sharing your toys with Little Bit?

Jen

Oh! And there is a lady on my blogroll (alabama bloggers) called Bama Belle. Her son was hospitalized and had surgery this morning. Could you pray for him please? His name is Orren and it was a staph infection from of all things, a spider bite.

Thanks!

The Pennington Point said...

Oh no! I can NOT stop laughing! Kids are so funny; what would we do without them?

I am so glad you shared the photos of the less than perfect decorations. Also, your Advent Calendar is gorgeous. I saw it in person and I thought it was fabulous...just like you! Lisa~

Courtney said...

Where did you get...or how did you make your advent calendar? I love it!

Alexia said...

I have been doing the same.exact.thing and I'll tell you what - Christmas cannot come fast enough! I want those ornaments GONE! LOL

Jerralea said...

I love your misfit ornament collection and your advent calendar! Thanks for sharing your dream tree and fireplace with us, too!

Amber said...

Hahaha, yes, I think it was a dig, honest!
Last year My youngest actually bit into a glass ornament and it broke in his mouth, so we switched from any breakables to foam cut-outs with pictures glues to them and colored with crayon. I put everything to the side and re-hang stuff after about every 4 days or so...and am sincerely hoping he doesn't knock the tree over again this year...LOVE your idea of camping out next to the tree!