Are you a good listener?
Can you sit and not say anything while listening?
How about this..can you, while listening, not think of what to say while a person is talking to you?
If you said “Yes” to all the above, when I grow up I wanna be just like you!
If you said “No” to any of them..then welcome to my world, hop on in the playpen!
Having connected some dots lately those in real life experiences with the spiritual ones..like this passage in the bible which states plainly we should “be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger”.
FAIL.
Many times!
And in my own defense I think I am not good at listening because it was hard as a kid to be heard without stuttering.
Seriously.
What’s more surprising is most hearing impaired people like myself spend more time preparing to answer then they do actually receiving and listening to all information, for me anyways this seems to be the case.
A defense mechanism to not look or seem different from others.
So what’s this all mean anyways?
Lately while making some life decision I got more then a few doses of NOT being listened to.
And frankly, I didn’t like it.
Maybe the blessing in disguise it that it’s helping me to see my own flaw. Becoming more aware of how others need to be heard..especially if it’s a vent/rant.
I also need to realize there doesn’t always need to be a fix.
As often times just by voicing a concern we can come to our own conclusion what we need or want to do without another's input.
Besides who do we trust more..another human being or ourselves?
Another thing to being “quiet and just listening” is this..when we need to hear what God is trying to tell us and can only do this when we are quite.
He tell us to“Be still and know that I am God.”
For myself I don’t see this as meaning stand in one place and keep on babbling.
I see it more like a clear pool of water, with not one ripple effect in it.
Still. Quiet. Peaceful.
Like I stated earlier it’s been on my mind allot lately, about how we were created with two ears and one mouth.
The ears, to hear with.
The mouth, to speak with.
Which one should be doing more?
Which should be doing less?
Hoping this post has been as helpful to you as it has for me..
God Bless your listening ears!
1 comment:
Really good post, Dawn! I think everyone is hearing impaired, at least every once in a while. It's good to be reminded.
Be blessed!
Post a Comment