Friday

a kind word

 

((Sigh))

Only 30min for a lunch break..I’ve got time to call back a missed call on my cell, drive across town to pick up lunch and eat on the way back.

(( Sigh))

Phone rings..and I was greeted by a really upset individual who only needed to vent.

I listen.

((thinking~ wish I had the right answers..but I feel like venting also))

This person didn’t realize at the moment just how frazzled I was but there was no time to share..only time to listen.

Speaking of time, I’m now down to 20mins and I still need to order my lunch.

Pulling up at a random drive-thru, I ask my caller to let me call right back.

OK.

I’m giving my order and I can’t help but notice the teller is being so nice, it makes me smile.

She listens, repeats and then confirms.  I know most do..but this interaction is just different.

Then she says something like “no problem we can do that..”

Seriously random..seriously touched me to the core.

So of coarse when I pulled up to the window the same sweet voice greets me with a smile and the total.

I ask “was it you that took my order?” 

She smiled and said “yes”  I tell her immediately how much I appreciate her attentiveness and she says something like “well..I’m trying to do better..”

“Trying?! girl you have it down..you sounded sooo nice, thank you so much!”

Now here it is..my turn to confirm.

She tells me she needed confirmation also that she was doing a good job.

It was very effective and as I was telling her how nice it was my voice broke and I started to cry..she reached out and said “awhh..thank you I really appreciate hearing this..really it makes it all worth it.”

I explain in detail here how far a kind word may go so that I myself will remember to practice this and perfect it also towards others.

Both of us didn’t realize how much we both needed it.

Straight to the heart..thank you Jesus ;)

She agreed and her eyes welled up also.

It was a brief moment.

It was simple gesture.

But it made such an impact in my day and on my mind.

 

Proverbs 15:23

 

“ A man finds joy in giving an apt reply—
       and how good is a timely word!”

2 comments:

Beach said...

I have learned this lesson myself lately....hear you had an anniversary on the same day as ours. Happy Belated Anniversary!!

Hugs,
:) Heather

Beth in NC said...

Awwww. That is precious!

God is good!