We met when she was just a baby..
I was the one she kept by her side at all times..
even when there was more entertaining things like Christmas presents I was never far away from her arms reach..
there where even times she used me to keep her dry..
did I mention I was always taken along for the rides and I would act as her shade also?
At most any time of the day ..morning~ noon
or night I would be by her side.
She was never embrassered to have me by her side even when the "big boys" where around.
She was really proud of me..
and I always felt loved by her.
Then the day came..when her mom talked her into just two of me instead of three..yes there were three of me.
You see her Poppy bought two more of me on her first birthday..saying she should always have a clean one of me and never be without me for a companion, I really like him.
So until recently we were down to two and then something happened that surprised me.
Most days I was left at home it seemed I went less and less to the car or even into any public places anymore..I felt she was always forgetting me.
Then one day her mother was cleaning out the winter clothes and saw one of me on the floor, asking Sissy if she would mind just having one of me left.
Sissy said sure.
I was a bit surprised at first.
I just knew there were still special times left for us, at least now I wouldn't have to share her with any other then.
A few days later..we are in town and I noticed a another young girl climbs into the car, Sissy tosses me in the back rather quickly..hmm..strange?
It's almost as if she was embarrassed of me?
Still I just sat in the back with the rest of the bags going to Goodwill that day.
Then it happened.
Her mother opens up the back of the SUV later that day and grabs the bags to give to the Goodwill man.
She eyes me curiously and asked Sissy if she pulled me out of the bag and then before I knew it she put me into one of the bags!
I tried to plead with her!
Our time was not yet done..that she should make sure this is what Sissy wanted!
But even Sissy was not concerned saying that she didn't take me out of the bag...
and then that was it..
I was gone forever.
Never to be snuggled again or held quietly while no one else was there..or cried on..or laughed on or even used to wipe her nose or sticky fingers on.
If I could..I'd remind her mother how often I was there for her baby girl and how it was my ultimate pleasure to serve her in all her security needs..however I believe my time was up with Sissy and as much as it pains me..I know the next one to come along will love the cool silky side of me as well as the soft velvet side that keeps one warm..plus I'm pink..and I'm a great blankie size.
Still I just hope they don't forget me..as I'll never forget the memories I shared with her.
Note from the Editor: The mother sat on that first night and thought of everything ..even asked herself why she didn't just wait to be sure. She thinks she misses the pink blankie even more then her dear daughter whose still saying: "I want my blankie..momma."
11 comments:
Aawwww....it's so bitter sweet. I have one child that still uses their blankie at night even though they are a teenager. It doesn't travel anymore, but I don't think I could get rid of it even if they told me to. Lisa~
awwwwwwww.... sniff....we still have one... it usually stays in a drawer, but Mimi made it, it's never going away! Cute story!!
reminded me of a daughter of my friends. she loved a terry towel and refused to leave it even when it was threadbare..........love the tribute you gave to an inanimate blankie......
Aww my Love Bug only uses her Pop's blanket at night, my Busy Body uses her only for naps and bedtime. I miss this stage when it is over!
Hugs, :) Heather S.
aaahhh...what a great post. Mimi carries THREE lambies around (1 pink and 2 white)..she's 3-1/2
Ahhh, the beloved blankie...Rose has a similar one, but she isn't ready to let it our of her sight just yet. ;)
Oh, how sad. I feel your pain! It's so harsh to grow up sometimes.
You did such a creative job of writing that. Very good. Sad... but good!
This was precious Dawn. Absolutely touching and sweet.
AWWW! There's something about blankies. I still have mine from when I was a little girl. It is really thread bare, but I still have it for the memories.
Awww! So sweet how they really cling to an object for comfort. Pebbles has a little furry dog she cuddles with. Sissy is so pretty.
Oh I love this post, but I hate that she is growing up so fast. How well I remember the "do we have sissy's blanket" before pulling out of the drive way.... MaMaw ...
Post a Comment