Friday

it's coming..are you ready?

 

Last night as my dh and I went over the budget for March..we started to discuss financial times.

I'm not saying this to "rain on anyone's parade" but seriously..the signs are all around.Prepare yourself for rough economic waters  (Getty Images)

 

 

 

 

Often left wondering what it will mean for us in our position as we are a single income family.

But this morning I was reminded through this scripture:

“O LORD, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done marvelous things, things planned long ago.”- Isaiah 25:1

Did you catch that last part? "things planned long ago."

Because even though we only started recently to become aware of what's going on and trying to organize for it..HE already had a plan..thus relieving us of the this stress, how wonderful that is!

And even though there are concerns, we have without a doubt experienced HIS blessings in trying to keep to the plan of getting out of debt and living mortgage free.

But hey even the best laid plans can throw curve balls.

Like most we have had difficulties in staying faithful to pay tithes and pay off large debts instead of taking the Spring break camping trip. 

Another thing of the past is that we used to love eating out..allot. 

Yet now it's becoming a "special treat" or if we go out it's just for ice cream. Sounds allot like the days when my grandparents where parents.

And I'm sure you have felt the same pinch in having to pay the monthly creditors and utilities..as it never seems to go down only increase each month and it doesn't seem to matter even if you are walking around all day long in your bathrobe (to save on laundry;) while turning off the lights behind everyone.

As well as opening up the windows instead of turning up the a/c in the car or making use of the leftovers.

Because going to the grocery store continues to "eat up" your gas money and any extras you may have wanted even if it's just a $1 movie.

I'm beginning to see that while I was having a change of heart over the past 2 1/2 years it's what has brought me to this place of understanding..it was brutal and a real boot camp experience at it's finest but I can see now how it may have saved me from heartbreak times.

And while our marriage is stronger than ever before a blessing from the Lord..we are able to go through these changes together..holding hands walking in the same direction not pulling one to the left or right.

Just last night I offered to "forfeit my surgery $$" and he shook his head..and smirked "your not getting out so easy".  (blushing..yeah I'm the cold feet type)

Currently we are attending the Dave Ramesy FPU seminar (on our 5th week) and finding out we aren't as frugal as we thought. But we have saved up an emergency fund (baby step #1) because Dave said so..we are also doing the envelope system and boy does that take d.i.s.a.p.l.i.n.e.

Yet when you have no other options  you become resourceful..already I've noticed this mind set "you don't need it..because you don't have it." 

I'm just soooo relieved I kicked the old chi tea habit it was soooo pri$ey"

And before this we also signed up with Credit Solutions which will reduce our debt by 1/2 because now the companies will settle for the principle left on balance and not the high interest rates they have overcharged for so long...well not "settle but battle with the guy whose not emotionally involved..wait them out you know."

These guys are aware of the tactics c/c companies use and have the legal know how to get them to settle.

And just for math sake let's say we owe $14,000.00 by the time they are finished...it will be settled down to $7,000.00.  Really it doesn't take rocket science.

But you will have to forfeit all your cards to get where you want to be..and that's no debt to anyone!

Here's something else that happened when we had called in to our creditors first before signing up w/ CS.. we asked them for a reduced payoff  interest rate and this is what they had to say (insert evil laugh here..)  "ha ha ha..NO."

When we decided Credit Solutions it was those same creditors have called us now to reduce the interest rate to nearly 50%...go figure? And our response in a "laughing all the way to the bank was "ha ha ha.. NO."

Now how'bout dem beans?!

Feels so good to have control back.

Now what looked like 7 yrs in the makings to pay off debt is now down to 2yrs pay off.

So what are you doing to bend to the times?

8 comments:

Muthering Heights said...

The Dave Ramsey approach is awesome....we have been using it since the summer! We need to see one of our cars, but I've never done it before, so I'm a little nervous, LOL!

Beach said...

We have always been on a budget (my job), we don't use credit cards, if we want to buy something large we discuss and save for it (by the time we get enough money the price on it has went down), we plan small family vacations at tax time so that money doesn't come out of our regular budget as well as pay off some large bills. This year we were going to either do car repairs or buy a used vehicle but it turns out my MIL cannot justify on her small income keeping her car so we are taking it over instead. The good Lord certainly does provide!!!!
Heather S.

Anonymous said...

I admit, I am doing as much as we should be doing. I have cancelled the lawn service (fertilizer, chemicals, weed control)...but we already live so tight that I don't know what else I can do. I dont' want to go back to work since the kids are only 2 & 3.

Carrie said...

The hardest for me was giving up my iced chai latte from Starbucks. I found that you can buy the same concentrate from Walmart at $3.50 and get about 5 chai's that taste almost identical...versus the $3.50 for one chai.

We started the Dave Ramsey budgeting this month and you are so right---the envelope system takes A LOT of patience, disipline, and you have to take each day as it comes.

Good luck to you! It will awesome once the debts are gone and we have some freedom! God is good!

Andrea said...

My hubby is a big fan of Dave. We do the envelopes which is fun to watch the the clerks at the grocery when I hand them cash. We don't eat out too much anymore either. Beans and rice and rice and beans!

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

Well I certainly see I'm not alone in this endevor!

Carrie~ I know about this chi tea your speaking of and have tried it it's true however I had a "fixation" on going to the real McCoy's place and ordering weird I know..this is why I went cold turkey!

Heather ...a car really how cool is that!


Sounds like I'm in good company here so blessed to "blog with you all!"

The Pennington Point said...

Great plan! I am so proud of you. We have done the envelope system for about 15 years now (before Dave Ramsey) and we love it. I am so excited for you! Lisa~

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are on the right track financially. Keep at it! My husband and I decided a long time ago not to use credit cards except for emergency type cases. Boy am I glad we did! We currently only have a mortgage payment. Otherwise we are debt free. But like you stated- we don't have the best of the best and we don't buy everything we want. We live very simply and I'm glad we do.