Tuesday

What's your theme?

images

This Thanksgiving will be a little different for me.

I'm not hosting or cooking anything major..in fact  tomorrow there will be no last minute runs to the store or staying up late to get last minutes done..nope..none of that. Instead I'm taking the kids to lunch & movie matinee after Bunter gets out of school early tomorrow.

This year the only thing I'm in charge of making is this cheesy potato casserole and my favored layered banana pudding made w/cream chz and all other rich goodness ;D

And for the first time in 4-ever there won't be a big mixed group of family, you know the kind, Ex-In-Out laws  and all the other extensions that pop up only once a year.. it will be a nice change from rush~pray~attack~ sit in front of ball game the rest of the day.

You see one of my least favorite parts of the holiday's or a newer pet peeve as I'm aging, is to try to have a big  family setting, not wanting to exclude anyone.

However then there's contention between those who choose to do things "traditionally" and others who choose the "spiritual way" it mixes allot like oil and water.

And while I don't like what  2 Corinthians 6:15 says especially when these are family members I believe there's allot of truth to it..sadly.

I really liked how The Message puts it, not quite so harsh as KJV or the others still "it is what it is".

Even so every time there's a festivity of sorts,  while one is trying  not to be offensive and the other not trying to be a prude it generally seems to happen and what's sad is this is family.

I've come to the conclusion like the saying "you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl.."  this can be said also on the spiritual aspect.

So the theme here is yours truly said "dh not this time let's do one set for lunch then later in the day go visit the others please".

Now this I can handle and am even looking forward to it also.

 How about you ..are the holiday's hard or pleasant..and (on the lighter side of things) do you have anything that the family insist on you making?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

UGH! I thought our Thanksgiving would be peaceful, but the drama just started with the INLAWS!! Now I am regarding my decision to host.

Muthering Heights said...

Well, our plans for this year leave me wanting to stab a pen into my eyeball.

My FAVORITE Thanksgiving was last year. We didn't travel or have any guests AT ALL. We just spent the day relaxing together and enjoying our little family before the hustle and bustle of Christmas season, the busiest time of year for my husband's business. :)

Simply_Pam said...

I don't have to worry about it as I am working.. my only hope is that my dd brings me a plate of yummy food as I will be one of the outlaws that will miss the main event.. Sometimes work is better the trying to please "the family" lol

Tammy said...

As you know, I'm at my sister's this week and if we had a theme it would be "Family" because our kids love being together and I love spending time with my little sister!

We ALWAYS make the same thing every year for Thanksgiving no matter where we celebrate it. And the MUST have is our mom's dressing, which is to die for!

Have a blessed week!

Blessed said...

We're doing the huge family feast thing... but I'm blessed and there isn't much drama in the local family who will be here (my FIL, his wife (MIL died of cancer 10 years ago), hubby, me and our little one, one sister & her family and one step-brother & his family.) Now if those who have moved to other places come up for the holidays too... then things get a little drama filled and interesting and I start looking for a cave to hide in.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! My Thanksgiving post was posted last week!

Beach said...

Well we don't have any (biological) family here so it will just be our house full and for me that is plenty enough. My oldest DD is doing most of the cooking (an almost whole new menu as well [she will have me giving direction of course])with some old standby's. We ALWAYS have to have Cheesy Green Beans which I am bringing to Christmas party as well. Happy Thanksgiving Girl...I think y'all picked the best way to deal with the holiday drama!
Heather S.

heidi said...

We generally do the actual holiday at one place and celebrate with the other set of parents on a different day. If his parents get Thanksgiving then mine get Christmas. This year we threw my biodad into the mix and bussed him down for the holiday. So, he and we are headed to the il's for dinner. Then my parents are coming down for Christmas but his parents think we should spend the day with them. I'm a brat and I said no. Told em we'd come over for pie or something at the end of the day.

THe older I get the brattier I get.

Sara said...

I'm one of the fortunate few, it seems, to have parents that are still on their first marriage, as are my DH's. AND, we're all yolked up together in the same faith, AND we live less than 5 miles from each other.

There's more to the story - but I'll just leave it there. Who knows where a mother lurks...........................