Last week we processed a whole buck..a big one at that..into meat (aka venison) this went on for 3 nights along side making over 20 lbs. into jerky and to say the least my house was starting to smell like a meat locker.
No amount of vanilla oil/candle scents could cover up the smell and in trying this, it put a new spin on the term "sweet meat" (gag).
So because it wasn't enough to have two dehydrators going as well as an oven full of jerky finishing. I thought "why not throw something together that's snack worthy and doesn't resemble an oreo" ( even though I like them, allot.)
I grabbed this recipe from the host of
"Homemaker Monday's" <GOING on today>
which her 12 year old made..so I thought surely with the help of my 3 and 4 year old we could whip this up and we did.
It was fun, easy and didn't take long and so I picked another easy one to fix
When both were done..the house smelled of yummy healthiness (my word) and not so much like a meat locker.. this is good. Setting both pans aside to cool after scoring them before leaving for carpooling~ tennis~dinner~and blogging (of course) hours later when I went to cut them out of the pan..I had to muscle up to scrape the pans clean..hence the reason we have granola cereal/yogurt topping now instead of bars, still very tasty.
So here's the deal..it was an enjoyable learning experience for the kids as we counted, measured and mixed ..I plan to do more of this stuff together with them while saving $$$ by not buying the instant gratifying junk, instead eating fresh and less guilt foods.
Beside each time they eat out of those gallon size bags of crumbs..they will remember how they made it and not just the licks they got in.
Remember to get the bars out of the pan before it's too hard and don't try to cover up the smell of meat with a vanilla/oil scented candle, it just doesn't work and makes "double the trouble."
And go over to join the idea's and fun times in our homemaker days!
~ Dawn
“Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.”- Galatians 6:2
4 comments:
That's awesome that you made the granola bars! And I appreciate that tip about getting them out before it gets too cool. I can't remember if I did that or not. You are lucky to have so much meat stocked up for the winter. Good job on processing all that! Thanks for linking up with me this Monday and hope to see you next week!
You are SO Martha Stewart-ish at your house....processing your own deer and homemade granola bars.
My son would eat his weight in jerky if I allowed him to.
Oh yum. now I need chocolate. lol
A great post.Thank you.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Grammy
Thanks for the healthy snack idea.
My house smells like pot roast right now! It was yummy, but I'm sick of the smell already!
Post a Comment