Friday

When you don't have the ingredients..,




"fake it till you make it!"ee2c26_italian_cream_cake_e


This "Italian cream cake" order was put in with me per our church's Women's Ministry Host for a special dinner last night.


No problem I've made this before and she gave me the recipe. However when I went to look for it I couldn't find it and didn't want to bother her for it again.


So I "Goggled" and found this beauty above.


Only thing is ... I needed some ingredients which I didn't have plus there's the added time crunch which didn't allow me to run into town...hence the saying above picture.



NO buttermilk? No problem you can use fat free or skim milk and 1 tbs of lemon for a substitute. Mix and let setup for 10min at room temp...it works wonderfully and saves you money!


No shortening? Use butter...it's the same in consistency and tastes much better! Do NOT try oil..it won't work!


No vanilla extract....and all I had was almond extract which is pretty tasty if you use only 1/2 the measurement to a vanilla serving suggestion.


According to a Food Network goddess geek " you should always have some on hand it's a staple item dunh?!"


But... but... but... I ran out the night before using it in our whipping cream for an unexpected blueberry crisp which was scraped clean and almost licked for good measure, not my fault entirely.


It all came together nicely and I must say tasted better then the original one ... I just love it when a plan comes to together!


It's fun and reassuring to myself when I see HIM provide everything I need when I need it!



So you have any "fake it till you make it" substitutes?




5 comments:

Beach said...

I was wondering why you weren't there tough....it was so pretty too, actually "food networky lookng" (my new term)
he he he
Heather S.

Muthering Heights said...

It sounds like you had some great substitutes! I usually just have a panic attack and then go to the grocery store at 3:00am...LOL!

Valarie Lea said...

Jessie was making Buttermilk pie the other day, but did not realize we did not have and buttermilk. So my MIL told her how to make it with Milk and vinager. Lets just say we did not use this in the Buttermilk pie, but I did use it for my white sauce. She ran over to my friends house and borrowed some buttermilk. :)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

This is a great post! I also like to use the 1 tablespoon of vinegar with 1 cup of milk to make buttermilk. It works like a charm every time! Thanks for joining Homemaker Mondays!

Carla said...

How neat! We use milk and vinegar for buttermilk. It curdles fast! You cake looks wonderful!