But it’s hard when you want to be heard!!
Right?
Really I try to keep things upbeat and positive..but here lately it’s a real workout to stay under the radar and not say or hit the publish button about issues I am having a hard time with.
Being mostly frustrated with myself that I’ve not mastered the art of thinking and then responding s.l.o.w.l.y.
A skill I admire most about the meek and humble..it sounds weak but understand this it’s quite the opposite because a lot more happens when you listen first.
Here’s a layout of what a “listen plan” looks like (give or take):
First listen closely.
And thinking of what you are going to say back is NOT LISTENING!
Instead listen and give your full attention to the speaker.
Then when they are finished..they may ask you a question WARNING: it may be negative..but remember you can take time to send up a 2 sec prayer for the Spirit’s intervention..most important give yourself time and don’t be rushed.
Think quietly (not out loud) about how they may be feeling and if you don’t understand then proceed to ask questions.
Respond ONLY after you understand.
The time you gave to listen has already started to diffuse some if all hostility towards you and this action means your looking to understand them better.
If you start to reply with “YOU” then you better end by saying “ARE RIGHT TO FEEL THIS WAY” another words..don’t argue.
Maybe they need to be right more then you can understand at the moment, hopefully they will feel better and you won’t have to say a thing more except..maybe “I’m sorry you feel this way”.
I’ve come to see this as a brilliant plan.
Now if I could just get this down..
1 comment:
Such a great post....this can be hard for this motor mouth too. I have been working on this myself. Thinking of and praying for you during this season :)
Hugs,
:) Heather
Post a Comment