During the past seven days..we’ve been on a “home project” vacation.
No kitchen duties what so ever..no washing, cooking or sweeping.
Sounds fun right?
Unless your me.
I would have rather gone on a primitive campout then to have had no kitchen..seriously it’s a nail biter for me.
And really the choice was slim..the time my dh took off of work was intended to be camping in the mountains, however we really needed to use the time and monies for projects of house painting, kitchen upgrading (new confectioners oven, dishwasher and counter tops and the all important front porch which began but now is on hold due to changes in design plans, long story short..cost is higher for lumber then what we planned or budgeted. :0/ a little more like an “autumn project”.
Anyways..this past week of work would have been pushed down the line if we had taken that relaxing camping trip.
And while it may seem I’m whining, truly I count my blessings for the husband I have. His talents and gifts bless our family in such a large way, beyond the usual household.
Seriously.
Here’s proof I’m telling no stories when I say we need a real vacation soon though.
Before..our counter top was a makeshift of those stick on tiles..and we used cast iron sink that was given to us when we first began this project three years ago.
Ready.
Set.
Tackle.
Prep work begins..
Tiles off..
Ready to make a mess..
Applied wire mesh to the sides.
Me helping..
First coat..a rough texture.
Let set and dry.
Then a second coat which is smoother and has the look of a cement color..but still sanding was required..the worst part in my opinion.
By the way this technique is called “decorative cement overlay”.
FYI: If you look at that lone picture hanging on the wall that’s my “inspiration” and where the colors are coming from.
Finally ready to color cement.
We choose, mocha.
It’s dark..and different but I’m braving it.
This is where you talking to myself need to use your imagination..look at the trim color around the window..this is the color the cabinets will be in the very near future.
We made such a huge mess..just look at the pix below!
I was never sooo happy to see that plastic and all it’s mess leave my kitchen, today!
Here’s a shot of the new sink and faucet in use ;) and I can’t believe I’m typing this but I missed washing dishes in a normal kitchen sink..!
Next for me..while my dh is back to work this week is sand/prime/paint all the cabinets..and design the back splash. There will be tin involved ;) that’s all I’m sayin..
Vision my friends..I’m trying to see the finished product and keep keeping on..now somebody come over here and rally me!
Momma you out there??
5 comments:
Wow! I'm impressed! You do need a vacation!
Wow, that's a lot of work, but it sure looks good! :-)
Job well done!
Looks great... and I love the color you chose. (How could you go wrong with anything called mocha, right?!)
On the tin, make sure you seal it - otherwise water spots and food will stain it. (Unless, of course, you want it to look old and distressed.)
Can hardly wait to see your finished cabinet pictures!
Y'all did an AWESOME job!!!! I agree there can be no way to go wrong with a color called Mocha!! It is warm and inviting. I love it!!!! Can't wait to see more of your progress.
Hugs,
:) Heather
Post a Comment