Tuesday

fighting thorns

It was one of those days..it started out nice and quiet like and then this happened.



While getting the kids dressed for the day, I noticed Sissy has a red swollen finger and after investigating I found two little bitty thorn culprits sticking out far enough for me to yank out with no problem, yeah right.



Problem is she doesn't want to make it easy.



I explain or tried to and managed to only get kicked and knocked out trying, twice.



One thorn down, one to go and by this time emotions are flying high.



Have you ever?



Instead of quiting.

I continue to fight this little tiger to get the next one out.



Even enlisting the help of her big brother to sit and hold her still.



Now for those who don't know, we just went through this ordeal with the heal of her foot which required a visit to the doc, a numbing shot to dig out the thorn and antibiotic.



The boys have always been "manageable".



Not this one and yes I even told her we'd have to go see the Doc again.. all this did was hit a nerve cause she didn't settle for bit.



Stubbornness..she comes by it honestly.



Only this time she won.



After I stopped and went to the other room to cool off, I cried because I totally hated letting her tantrum get the best of me..I knelt, prayed, asked for forgiveness and then did what any other sahm does. Called my dh.



He was reassuring, understanding and totally in my corner about this but still it didn't make me feel better.



Afterwards the children and I prayed together..because I believe it's important to tell your kids your sorry when you don't handle situations right, helps them to understand repentance.



I did eventually put some "purification" on her finger (only later to see it was not as bad as it seemed) another reason I heart Young Living Oils.




I won't go into anymore detail, however for future references when you think

"Awh Dawn's such a good mom.." just remember this post and know that even I lose my cool every now and then because like the rest I'm learning as I go.





What really got me was her fighting spirit or was it "mistrust"..either way she wouldn't believe I wouldn't hurt her. One of those things that "hurts me more then it hurts you" kinda thing never understood that till I became a parent.



Currently I'm reading "Easy Obedience" by Kay Kuzma which also happens to be speaking at the family camp meeting this next weekend we are planning to attend.
The timing is perfect.
It's almost providential as if the Lord knew I would need some guidance and arranged it just for me.



In the past years I was treated to a weekend women's retreat with personal one on one with Kay where a spiritual renewal and parenting transformation if you will with what the Spirit taught me through her.

It was on "filling your love cup" I can remember a vital element of "coming to the realization" that happened then.

So needless to say I'm ready for another lesson in "removing thorns".



Signing off~ the weepy momma.

11 comments:

One More Equals Four said...

I totally understand. My oldest son...who has NEVER been beaten has started flinching and putting his hands up when I get on to him. It makes me so mad and hurts my feelings because he would believe or act as if I would slap or hit him! This parenting thing can be rough.

I may have to check out that book, sounds interesting!

Simply_Pam said...

What is it with Sissy and thorns.. This is becoming a "thorn" in your side. We learn parenting a day at a time,and hope that we are doing it "right." Just remember that love covers all the mistakes that we make along the way.. hugs honey

Tamra said...

This mom is right there with you. I so know what you're saying. The other commenter is right though - LOVE smooths all the mistakes over. ((hugs))
www.TamraGirl.com

Simply_Pam said...

P.S. Your Aunt Karen is following you. I worked with her on Sat and gave her some basic on blogging.. Go show her some love cause she is a "newbie". U will see The Birds Nest added to your list of followers.. that would be "Aunt Karen" MOM

heidi said...

ENjoy hearing Kay speak again. Our pastor at the time also did a serious of sermons around her "love cup" stuff.

Poor you and poor Sissy. ((hugs))

Unknown said...

Ugh, I hate the thorn battle. Lately here it has been teeth. I have got one that totally freaks about the whole thing. And it isn't pretty when the adult teeth are making his baby two front teeth sticky straight out!

Just wanted to ask you what YL oils are. I have never heard of them.

Beach said...

Awwwww, I am sorry both of you are having to deal with this!!!! Know you will use this to learn from!!!!
Heather S.

littletoesandcheerios said...

Poor little Sissy. I guess they just get so afraid that it's going to hurt they go into a crazy tantrum. Pebbles does the same thing and I too cry and then pray. Wow, who knew girls were more stubborn than boys? Oh yeah, I guess I did, hehe. My Mom will tell you she worried about my brother more, but I back talked and tested her more.

kris said...

been there too sister.. you would think I was cutting his leg off the last time I tried getting a splinter outta his foot! What a chore...all I have to threaten is the doc...still isn't easy!

Muthering Heights said...

Hmmm, I'm starting to think that Sissy is out rolling in thorns! Poor kid!

Unknown said...

i got it sissy is a magnet for thorns, getting into things comes from her daddy, but he always sucked up and put the brave face on cuz that boy was an accident looking for a place to happen, give sissy some hugs from nana